Azure Cosmos DB is a globally distributed, multi-model, horizontally scalable, low latency, high availability database. It allows you to manage your data even if you keep them in data centers that are scattered throughout the world.It can provided tools that you need to scale the globally distributed database.
Features of Cosmos DB
- Globally Distributed: The data can be replicated globally just by adding Azure regions.
- Horizontally scalable: Cosmos DB can be scaled horizontally to support hundreds of millions of transactions per second for reads and writes.
- Multi-language support: It supports wide range of programming language such as .Net, Java, Python etc.
- Multi-API: Cosmos DB has Multi API support such as SQL API, Cosmos DB Table API, MongoDB API, Graph API, Cassandra API, and Gremlin API. We’ll be discussing about these API’s in the future articles.
- Multi-Model: Data can be stored in Key-value Pair, Document-based and Graph-based.
- Multi-Consistency Support: Cosmos DB supports 5 consistency levels, i.e., Eventual, Prefix, Session, Bounded and Strong.
- Low Latency: Cosmos DB offers guaranteed low latency at the 99th percentile.
- High Availability: Cosmos DB provides 99.999% availability for both reads and writes for single & multi-region accounts.
In this series of articles, firstly, we’ll look into SQL API using EF Core, SQL API Global Distribution with multiple reads & writes, Gremlin API and finally on Cassandra API.
I hope you like the article. In case, you find the article as interesting then kindly like and share it.